Thursday, March 21, 2013

They Have Taken An Angel Home

Ruth Karin Campbell
She looks mighty classy


Today was my Grandmother's funeral in Payson, Utah. 

In case you didn't know how genuinely awesome my grandparents were, 
read this post about my grandfather after he passed away..

and this one on my grandmother from last year. 

Don't forget to read her obituary. I found that I learned something new about her, even in her death.

This last time we went to Utah to see Grandma was this last December and Lydia was finally a year and a half, able to talk and walk around. Grandma enjoyed her and gave her a few gifts (which now holds more sentimental value to me than it did before), but she was also in more pain. This was before she knew she had cancer. I asked to take pictures with her or pictures of her with Lydia but, unfortunately, she refused. Any last pictures I did get of her were taken sneakily on the iphone while she didn't know.. (oops, sorry, Grandma!). These next pictures are all I have left.



Since I didn't get to go to Utah today, I found myself reminiscing about times spent with Grandma over the past two years. Six or seven years ago, when they did live closer to us in Alaska, she was sick a lot, so being young and rambunctious I didn't spent much time with her in her bedroom, although now I wish I had. Every once in a while we would play Skip-Bo with her on her bed, but I spent more time with Grandpa or running around their beautiful house that Grandpa built. Christmas Eve traditions were still my favorite and I look back at them fondly with longing. Those were the special times I looked forward to each year.
I wish I could recreate at least one more Christmas Eve with all my relatives there.

While we haven't gotten to travel very many times to Payson, the times I did go I soaked in Grandma's stories. She told the best {real life} stories..and even if she did tend to repeat some of the same ones I've already heard, she told them with the same enthusiasm and spark, as always.

Grandma is one of my heroes. 

She is one of the strongest people I know and has been through so much. 

She always had a passion for learning and loved going to school.

She endured to the end valiantly and bravely and I am proud to be her descendant. 

I only hope one day I can live up to the good name she has left behind.

On our way to Payson, Utah!

The view looking outward from Grandma's driveway


Grandma showing Lydia her Bears.

Telling Lydia she needs to be gentle and soft with Mr. Bear.

One of my favorites!

Trying to get her on the rocking chair.

*Sharing Secrets*

I told Jonathan to take pictures while we were getting ready to leave (Grandma refused again saying she had a headache and that she also didn't look pretty enough for a picture. I told her she looked good to me for pictures, but this is what we got instead.)

Not sure what was so funny, but Grandma thought something was!


Wish we could've gotten more pictures! This is the last one I have being at her house. 
I'm sure gonna miss it there.


December 2010 (5 mo pregnant with Lydia) with Grandma and Grandpa Campbell.
I miss and love them both dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment