Friday, March 15, 2013

Domesticity At Its Finest!

Since taking a children's clothing sewing class I have come to realize that I am addicted to checking out Lydia's clothing seams! - to see if I can visualize a pattern. Weird, I know, haha. In my head I always want to reproduce some of her clothes with fabric of my own, but I'm too nervous that I'll probably mess it up without a legit pattern. Anyway, here are some of the things I've made in class, minus the blessing dress that we are working on (which I'm so excited for, it's going to be beautiful), and then a project that I made by myself using an online pattern that I bought. Enjoy!


The hat was the first thing we made in class, followed by the booties.
Then we made a sleeper. I bought another zipper so I could make another one, but used it for the project later.


The shirt and pants that we made. It's hard to tell but the color is a violet purple. The elastic waistband was a pain and I'm terrible at working with the serger! haha


Now we are working on our blessing dresses, but I am providing you with no sneak peak until I have the final product finished! Let's just say.. it's going to be really beautiful. So far I just have most of the bodice sewn, the sleeves, and we are just barely working on the skirt. I'm excited that my little baby will get to wear some of these clothes I made with my own hands. It's a great accomplishment.

The other day I wanted to see if I could follow a pattern and teach myself how to do something without being told what to do step by step (in person, I followed the pattern to a T haha). I decided to do something somewhat simple (besides the stinking buttons/zipper) and chose a baby bedtime bag. It's kind of like a sleeping bag, but with a zipper on the bottom so you can easily change their diaper during the night. I think it's so cute and I'm always stopping in my room to check it out and see the handywork that I've created. Haha I'm a nerd, oh well. 

Haha, my photography skills stink. Like how I cut the bottom off?

I learned how to stitch button holes, that I can put my seam ripper to good use, and sew buttons on, all self taught.
Pretty proud of myself!

lol My goofy little test subject. Jonathan always laughs when he sees that baby.

Complete with an invisible zipper! We learned how to sew zippers on our sleepers, but not like this, using a basting stitch. Another thing learned (through trial and error haha). 

All in all I'm pretty excited for my sweet little offspring to be able to use something that I created. I can't wait to trade this plastic baby doll for my real precious one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment