Tuesday, February 21, 2012

..One Special Lady..

The worst part about visiting Grandma's house.. Is leaving it.

Over the weekend, we went and visited a special lady. 
She has a strong testimony of Christ, His Gospel, and of blessings given when promises are kept. 


My Grandparents, Leslie and Ruth Campbell.

You maybe remember this post, about my Grandpa, when he passed away last year. They had been married for 62 years, and now my Grandma spends her time in Payson, Utah, without her true love. I can only imagine how hard that would be. We wanted her to finally meet Lydia, her 26th great grand-kid, and we wanted to keep Grandma company for the weekend. Even though I ended up getting sick on the way down and was sick the entire time, I always enjoy visiting Grandma and listening to her stories. She is such an amazing woman!

She told us of how they met, and how after seeing her for the first time, the next day Grandpa went out and bought their wedding rings, not knowing he'd have to wait two whole years to marry the love of his life! What an act of faith! She told us of how her house was bombed by the German Nazis in the war in Norway and how she and her siblings had gone to work at the age of 6 to help provide for her family, since her father died when she was 2. She told us of the encounters with the German soldiers and how they had guns to her, her mother, and her sister's faces. She told us of the many times they were blessed by the hand of the Lord because of keeping the commandments and being faithful. She told us of how they came to America and how she had always dreamed of coming to America since she was little.  
A dream come true

In short, my grandma is filled with amazing heroic stories. She is a strong woman, who never compromises her values even when it may have been rough. She is brave in the eyes of uncertainty. And she is strong when all you want to do is cry. She is a great example of someone who indeed loves family history. While she was sick in bed for 10 years, she wrote a book about her life, to pass on to her children and grandchildren so they could know of her story. She then compiled a book for Grandpa. She still has an amazing memory. When we go over to her house she tells, from memory, stories from her childhood that she had written in her book. I now feel ashamed that I haven't read it (it's in Alaska at my parent's house), but, I am kinda glad since her stories are a thing I look forward to hearing when I come to her house. She has many pictures throughout her house of her ancestors, on both her and Grandpa's side. It is amazing the kind of history she keeps in just one little room. This picture only captures one wall.





On Sunday evening, we went over to Mary's, my Grandma's sister, house where I got to meet Mary's daughter, her husband, and Mary's son, along with her grandchildren and their 3 boys. Mary married Grandpa's brother. There were 3 sisters who married 3 brothers. How neat! However, Grandpa's brother also died within 6 days of my Grandfather's death. So the sisters mourn together.
We also got to see my Aunt Eileen and her husband and my cousins, Phillip and Jorgena. It was a fun evening spent with rambunctious little boys. They said and did the darnedest things. The 4 year old boy came up to my finished plate, picked up an olive and while I was telling him that it fell on the floor, he was licking it, shrugged his shoulders, and popped it into his mouth. Me and Jonathan bursted out laughing. My mom's cousin, Harry, held Lydia for most of the time, feeling grateful that she was a quiet, well behaved little girl opposed to the energetic 2, 4, and 6? year old boys. I think at the time I, too, felt glad that we had a girl. I'm not sure what I would do with little boys. Although, I'm sure you learn in time how to tame them. :)
After they left we spent the rest of the evening getting to know each other in quiet conversation.

From L to R: Me and Lydia, Roseann (Mary's daughter), Grandma, Harry (Mary's son), and Mary



Monday morning we spent our last few hours listening to more of Grandma's stories as she showed us some photo albums of when I and my other cousins were younger. We then took some pictures and hugged and said our goodbyes.

Grandma and Lydia became best friends over the weekend. Grandma sure loves Lydia. She likes how she sits in her lap quietly, and keeps herself entertained. She loves her fun happy personality. While we were leaving, I would pretend to talk for Lydia and say, "Bye Grandma! I'll miss you!" when every time Grandma would reply, "I'm sure I will miss you a whole lot more than you'll miss me." I'm saddened that she spends a lot of time by herself, which is why we like visiting. I believe that even though someone may know that they'll see the ones they love after death, living on without them is still terribly hard.



Best Friends <3

I really wanted a 4 generation photo with my mom, but she's too far away! 




In April of 2011, Elder Mervyn B. Arnold spoke in General Conference on the importance of your name. In it he says, "Today I would like to extend the same challenge to each one of you that my parents, who will be forever remembered because of their good names, extended to me. Before you act, picture the Savior standing at your side and ask yourself, 'Would I think it, would I say it, or would I do it knowing He is there?' For surely He is there. 
In that glorious day when we stand before our beloved Savior to report what we have done with His name, may we be able to declare: “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.'  'I have honored Thy name.'"
I know by the legacy and good example that my Grandparents have lived and continue to live that they can go forward and declare that they have fought a good fight and have kept the faith. They have honored His name. I am only too grateful to be a part of their name and heritage and hope that I can honor their name, as well as His.

We love you, Grandma!

PS: I hope you don't mind me showcasing your home, Grandma! And thank you, Jonathan, for taking the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment