Friday, November 22, 2013

Homemade tostadas with sweet shredded pork

Mmmm home made sweet shredded pork on tostadas. This is seriously one of my most favorite dinner meals and I have no problem eating it multiple times a week. I look forward to leftovers here, people. I could seriously stuff myself silly (which I did, eventually). So I decided to share it with you! I haven't posted a recipe in foooooorever, and this is a special treat because I actually made this from scratch and was surprised it came out wonderfully! And I've made it multiple times and it never fails. Mmm mm mm..

First, you'll need:

A crock pot

1 boneless pork shoulder



fajita packet or your own fajita mix (usually I use the the taco bell fajita packet, but I didn't have one today so I did a tbsp of each: chili powder, paprika, oregano, and cumin.).  You just do equal parts of each; you could make more or less depending on what you're using it for. (I actually like using the packet better, but whatevs.)


1 individual cup of apple sauce (or apple juice works too), plus that empty apple sauce container full of water
a couple handfuls of brown sugar
drizzle of molasses

Package of tostadas (they're the flat taco looking things in a bag).



Toppings:
chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado - I wish I had some tonight :( . Also, lime adds great flavor.

I place the boneless pork shoulder into the crock pot. Then, I pour all of the fajita mix over the meat. Next, I pour the apple sauce, sprinkle 2 handfuls or so of the brown sugar over it, then drizzle the molasses over the rest (not a lot). Finally, pour the little bit of water over it so it won't dry out while cooking. Put it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 5-6 if not frozen. In the past when I didn't have that much time I did it low for 3 hours, high for 3 hours. Works just the same and turned out great. After 6-8 hours take two forks and shred the meat (works best if not frozen, mine was frozen so I had to wait a little longer since I had it on low for 6 hours). Add salt to taste. It should taste flavorful and sweet. If it doesn't, add more salt and brown sugar, but I think 2 handfuls is enough.
Not sure why it rotated like that?

Add a lot more brown sugar than I did here. The meat needs to come out looking nice and dark and juicy sweet.

I actually had to add a lot more brown sugar than I originally put in, and sprinkled salt all over it too. You just kind of have to taste test it to see what you really like. Make sure that meat is emerged in the juices.



Grab your tostada, squeeze a lime over it, place a good amount of the shredded pork on top, add lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Eat. Make another. Repeat. X 2. Also tastes good with cilantro lime rice on the side, which I've made multiple times in the past.





The pork tastes like heaven exploded in your mouth. You can thank me later.

The first time I made it Jonathan told me he didn't expect the meat to have a sweet flavor and that he had never tasted sweet meat before, and that it was really, really good. My brother-in-law told me it reminded him of Cafe Rio's sweet pulled pork. I've only had CR food once, so I'm not sure what exactly he's talking about, but I kind of take that as a compliment. ;) After searching a little bit online I found a recipe that was similar to the one I use, Cafe Rio Sweet Barbacoa Pork  by The Girl Who Ate Everything. I haven't tried that one yet, though.

Enjoy!

Let me know how it went if you decide to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment