Friday, July 27, 2012

Baby Mine



Yesterday I did what I haven't done in a while... rock my baby to sleep at night. Lydia usually only wants to be rocked to sleep (or rocked at all) when she's sick. She usually falls asleep nursing. I know that's not the best, but it's the quickest and usually that's all she wants when she's cranky and sleepy and just wants to pass out.

So last night she ended up staying up til 12:30am due to having a late nap (from 4-6) while I was gone donating plasma. Well, what can you do? Me and Jon were both, surprisingly, tired and wanted to sleep earlier than Lydia had in mind. He went to bed and I was on baby duty (like usual) and Lydia was wide awake. After she played for a while I shut off the lights and put her in the recliner and rocked her to sleep. I love her big yawns as she's getting ready to let go and dream. It's my favorite.

While I rocked I sang. I sang a song that touched my heart before she was even born. It still does. I remember those vivid memories. I remember being in Texas in our first apartment as newlyweds of 3 months after finding out we were expecting. I remember cooking or washing something in the kitchen listening to my iPod playing songs. And then this song came on and I played it over and over and over. And tears came to my eyes. I couldn't wait for my baby to be mine.. to be here..and I still had a long way to go.

Baby Mine

Baby mine, don't you cry
Baby mine, dry your eyes
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine
Little one when you play
Don't you mind what you say
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine
If they knew sweet little you
They'd end up loving you too
All those same people who scold you
What they'd give just for 
The right to hold you
From your head to your toes
You're not much, goodness knows
But you're so precious to me
Cute as can be, baby of mine
(from Dumbo; the version from The Essential Disney Love Song collection sung by Paige Morehead.
I tried to get her version because it's more up to date and sounds better, but this will have to do!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment