Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Believe - December

This is part of my I Believe series I do every first Sunday of the month. It is my testimony. Sometimes I get a chance to share it at church, other times I don't, but today, I'd like to share it with you.


I believe in the power of the Atonement. It can heal anything. We can become 100% clean from our sins and mistakes, and our consciences can be guilt free, but that doesn't always mean it will take away our consequences. I believe in a loving and forgiving God, but I also know that He has great expectations from us, and wants and desires us to be good people. I know there is a God. You cannot take that knowledge away from me. I have had the Spirit testify to me again and again that it is true and that there is a higher power looking over us.

I know the Savior came to earth.. in His humble meekness and poor circumstances He came to our world to save us. He came, He taught, He lived, and He died. And yet, He still lives. And we still continue to learn from Him.



At the start of this Christmas season I have begun to think a lot more about the true meaning of Christmas. It seems each year I think I grasp a little bit more of the true meaning, but this time I think I have truly felt it. It was while I was reading

Maybe Christmas Doesn't Come From A Store

that I believe I finally understood just how sacred the moment of His birth was. You should definitely read it, if you never have. It brought a whole new perspective to me about Christ's parents and their sacrifices and just how dirty and gross the place he was actually born in was and how poor they really were. Me, having given birth to Lydia in a clean hospital, with doctors and nurses, had it so much better than even our Heavenly King and his humble mother. I love the point that he makes, that Mary and Joseph probably knew that even in the beginning of His mortal life, it wouldn't be easy, preparing him for later things to come, but it would be done so he could know how to help others who feel the same way.

Elder Holland definitely says it better, 

"Perhaps these parents knew even then that in the beginning of his mortal life, as well as in the end, this baby son born to them would have to descend beneath every human pain and disappointment. He would do so to help those who also felt they had been born without advantage."

I was enlightened while reading it, understanding that Christ, the Savior of us all, never once had a prideful moment, even at his birth. He was humble all throughout his life. He wasn't born in an adorned palace, but a lowly stable. Up through his crucifixion he lived a truly meek life. 

I am so extremely humbled by reading about this sacred experience. I have a renewed love for the Savior and his earthly and heavenly parents. Before this, I wasn't either for or against Santa Claus and letting Lydia know who he was or letting her experience the fun in believing in him. Now, I feel it would be totally against everything that I feel is right for this special holiday, to introduce him into our home and let him take the spotlight for the one time of year which belongs to a precious, perfect, little child.

I believe in Christ, He is my {Heavenly} King

No comments:

Post a Comment