Thursday, June 2, 2011

Don't worry, I'm still alive

In case you were wondering why I am MIA...

I'm not completely...just in Denver, Colorado with my sister-in-law and her family. 

You see, things weren't working out with our job in Nebraska, so they told us to pack up our things Sunday night (from our lovely abode that we've been staying at for a month and a half...cough cough.. a hotel) and go home. 

Only.. we don't have a home.

We banked on going to Nebraska, doing well in his job, having the baby there, and then figuring out what we'd do afterward, having a nice cushion of money to fall back on, either returning to Rexburg or fly to Alaska when the time got closer. I had no idea that if you didn't do well in the job (make sales) that they just kick you out. I would have been waaay more prepared (and also skeptical) had they even mentioned that to us when they recruited us! Not to mention they told us to leave all our kitchenware behind because the place that we were eventually going to move into would be furnished. Sooo when we head to Alaska we're starting out brand spanking new, especially since we're leaving our car behind. Poor Elenor, she can't make the trip. We really got screwed over. 

So... I am a little frustrated right now. I had just barely been seen by a doctor in Nebraska, after almost 6 weeks of waiting for stupid insurance and everything to go through. And now I have to do the whole process in Alaska.. in 5 weeks. Why 5 weeks? Because that's all the time I have left before lovely Lydia's due date. 

Not to mention, on our way out from Omaha, Monday we got caught in the middle of a tornado! There were tornado warnings above us and below us on the highway going through the town of Kearney, NE. We were stuck there for about 4 hours, in our cars under a bank drive through for protection, listening to the radio provide updates. Although the tornado didn't touch down in that town, we underwent a severe thunderstorm with nonstop lightning. Oh my heck, it was scary. I had a panic attack. I've never been through one of those and just seeing the damage done in Joplin made me way nervous. But Jonathan said we should pray, and the clouds started clearing about 15 minutes afterward. And we were able to leave. I was so happy to leave Nebraska behind. And thankful the Lord always takes care of us!

Amidst all these unfortunate events and nonstop stress, I am trying to stay positive, and thankful.

We have awesome friends who are making the trip up with us. Jonathan is riding with a friend through the Alcan (bold, I know!) and I am flying this Saturday out of Denver to Anchorage where my dad will meet me and we'll go back home to North Pole. Then our friend's wife will meet the boys next week in Anchorage when she flies in from Texas and they'll make the trip to Fairbanks to drop off all our stuff. I'm really grateful for all their help as well as their truck that was able to fit all our baby things/suitcases! They've been such a blessing especially with our financial situation. 

I'm also thankful for my mother, who willingly paid for my plane ticket up when we couldn't rely on other people who said they would help us out. And I'm grateful for my dad for giving up his dipnetting trip (that he takes annually) to drive to Anchorage Saturday day and pick me up at the airport. 
I'm happy because even though I probably won't get to see my husband for over a week (hay, that's long to me okay!) I do get to see my family in 3 days, as well as all my many friends who are still in Alaska. 
I'm thankful that my parents love us so much they're willing to help us out, and are SO thrilled that we are going to be up there, especially for the birth! This will be the first grandchild on my side of the family, and my parents and siblings are excited. :) 

I know it's going to be a super stressful month...heck, probably the next few months will be, I'm counting on it.. but I'm willing to tackle it. We've learned and are continuing to learn a LOT of lessons from this whole situation, which, at the time seem hard to overcome, but we need it. All I know is, I can't wait to get up to Alaska.

I'm sooo done with the states!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry things didn't work out in NE. :( But I'm excited to get to see you around the 907 and meet Lydia! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete