Friday, March 11, 2011

Goodbye, Grandpa...

So.. tomorrow is the day. 

They're taking my Grandpa off the oxygen and then his carbon monoxide levels will go up and his ph level will go down and essentially he will stay asleep and pass on.
It has been really hard for all my relatives, especially my aunt, who is his youngest daughter. She keeps us posted on Facebook and some of the things she says about him makes my heart break

But I feel the worst for my mother

Out of all 9 kids that he has, she is the only one who cannot make it to say goodbye or go to the funeral. All of the other children were able to fly in to say goodbye, but (living in Alaska) she doesn't have enough money to pay for a flight down and all the flights were booked this weekend, so she is stuck mourning for her father at home, without the support of her Campbell family. 

I feel soo terrible for her. She will never have any true closure and she can't be around her mother or brothers and sisters during these hard times. I think the hardest thing is saying goodbye for all of us. We know we have to do it and we know it will be better for him, but it is so hard for us. We know he will be pain free, but the most pain comes from the people he will have to leave behind. He was an amazing person - funny, super hard working - the ideal Father and Grandfather (and Great-Grandfather).

My only regret is that we didn't spend more time with him. I wish I had. It pains me to think that we could've stayed longer, but we didn't. But we got to say goodbye when he could understand us
and that I am thankful for.

Please tell the ones you love (near and far) how much you truly love them. Don't wait until it is too late before you express your gratitude for them, and how much you love them! 
And be thankful you are alive today!

No comments:

Post a Comment