Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Different Perspective, Perhaps?

 

Err.. so I don't mean to go all "churchy" on all of these blogs lately, but it has been what's on my mind the past few days.. AND .. it is myyyy blog :) So I am allowed..heehee..

As I read through the Book of Mormon I have been studying it along with the latest Book of Mormon manual, which I have to admit, as much as I didn't pick it up when I bought it from Bro. Richardson last year, I wish I had. 'Cause reading it now has given me so many more perspectives and opened more stores of knowledge for my gaining. 

I was studying in Mosiah the other day and read about "keeping the Sabbath day holy". Which always seems to be a very opinionated topic. A lot of people like to argue what they can and can't do on Sunday, justifying actions instead of just taking the counsel as it really is. But I read something from the manual that hit me so hard I read it almost 10 times trying to grasp everything it meant! I believe in having a "change of heart" every time you find something you need to change and you actually change it for the better. I think we all experience that from time to time, not just with the big things, but with the little things that effect us. And just for your benefit, I'll share with you the quote I read that has changed me ever since. :)

Mark E. Petersen of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, "Observance or nonobservance of the Sabbath is an unerring measure of our attitude toward the Lord personally and toward his suffering in Gethsemane, his death on the cross, and his resurrection from the dead. It is a sign of whether we are Christians in very deed, or whether our conversion is so shallow that the commemoration of his atoning sacrifice means little or nothing to us."

At first I thought to myself, "but I love the Savior! I truly feel converted".. but then I recalled the past Sundays spent with accidental long naps when I could have been out visiting teaching, or doing something more worthwhile or worshipful. I was shocked to see so many members watching the Superbowl this last Sunday (which can parallel as a "false tradition of our fathers".. which the manual said we have to carefully examine our lives to determine what traditions may differ from the Lord's teachings and then take the courage to change), but I am no better than they are if I'm not progressing towards or actually worshipping Christ on His day, remembering his sacrifice. Reading that has given me a whole new perspective. I think about the Sabbath day in a different way now. I want my conversion to mean something. I'm going to try my best to make the most out of my Sundays, honoring the Lord in the way he should be, not just while I'm at church.





No comments:

Post a Comment