Saturday, November 17, 2012

Guest Post: Heather's Story

I got an email from this woman, Heather, whom I had never met before. She asked if I would let her guest post on my blog about her cancer-survivor story. I have never done a guest post before, but I figure this was a worthy cause. Who knows? It could save a life.

Here is Heather's story.





My Mesothelioma Story-

When you hear these three words, "You have cancer" your entire outlook changes, and you develop fear. That phrase is comprised of words most people never want to hear. Unfortunately, for me, I heard these three words at a time when my life was going well. I had just given birth to a baby three and one-half months prior to my diagnosis of pleural mesothelioma. If you are not familiar, this cancer is caused by inhalation of asbestos into the lungs.

I am frequently asked, “Asbestos? Isn’t that banned?” That’s what most people think. Unfortunately, the risk of exposure of asbestos still exists. The second question I am frequently asked is, “Where were you exposed?” I unfortunately came into contact with asbestos through secondary exposure. The microscopic particles were on my dad’s clothes after he worked in construction sanding, mudding and drywall taping.

My diagnosis was not like other people’s diagnosis. I was 36 and much younger than other people being diagnosed with mesothelioma. Typical mesothelioma patients were older and male. These patients also worked in trades such as plumbing, heating and the military. They also were exposed to asbestos as electricians and mechanics.

Women were exposed through their husbands’ laundry and by working in asbestos-laden schools. When they did the laundry, the asbestos was released into the air and was inhaled.

I remember feeling as though I was all alone when I was diagnosed. There were really no other women that I knew of who had mesothelioma. Sadly, I was the beginning of an epidemic or an alarming trend of young people developing mesothelioma, but how were they becoming exposed? It’s sad, but children were exposed in ways that they would never have expected. Like me, it may have happened after something like they wore their dad’s jacket to feed the rabbits. Children were also exposed in other circumstances, such as when they gave their fathers hugs after the father had been installing insulation around pipes.

It’s really so sad.. people that young should be focusing on getting married, landing a new job or getting pregnant. Instead, people in their twenties and thirties are focused on mesothelioma treatments. Luckily, the treatments are advancing and becoming more effective. Now, more people are surviving after a mesothelioma diagnosis.

When you hear that you have cancer, it is absolutely devastating, but you can’t give up. I continue to remain hopeful that life will improve after my mesothelioma diagnosis. The mesothelioma community helps a lot. I share my victories with them. I also cry with them when the treatment or life isn’t going as planned. I am not sure what I would do without my support group.

Why do I share my story and do what I do? Basically, I do it to create awareness. When people are not aware, they make misinformed decisions. I want to be an instrument of change. Sharing is the first component of being an instrument of change. By sharing my story with others, I hope to help someone who may be living in fear after their diagnosis and help them do what is right.



I had never heard of Mesothelioma before, until she contacted me. I am sure many others out there have never heard of it either. Luckily, it is 100%  preventable if you're careful. If you want to learn more about this cancer or read more about Heather's survival story or her journey, check out the link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment