Monday, May 21, 2012

Raising Human Beings


I found this picture on pinterest the other day, and the saying has been stuck in my mind ever since. It is such a good reminder for parents, especially of those whose kids are quite rambunctious and in our minds, seem to make a lot of "mistakes," even though that's all part of the learning process and growing up. It's funny how quickly we forget that we were once just like that - innocent and needed growing up of our own to do. It breaks my heart when I see parents demean, talk down to, or hurt their little ones and especially when they give them a punishment far more cruel than the deed deserved. It breaks my heart when parents treat their children like an inconvenience, as if they are easily disposable and replaceable with materialistic items of the world. It breaks my heart to see a child (infant or a toddler), begging... pleading, for help or for them to take 5 minutes of a parent's precious time away to play, only to be ignored by the parent who has every kind of technology sucking away at their life.

Yes, we are raising human beings. We're raising little people that will grow into big people, wonderful, great, amazing people. But it starts with us. It starts with every honest word, every kind touch, and every gentle look. 

When I was in Alaska, I was in the car with a dear friend I babysat for. I mentioned to her that earlier that day I had watched a (different) 3 year old and when the mother came to get her child, the conversation actually led to where the mom told me that if her daughter, when she is older, wanted to go smoke pot, she'd let her, if it was under her own roof. I was shocked by her reply and total cool attitude about it and that society has come to this - that we accept every blatant and horrifying practice, and even celebrate it and introduce it into the walls of our own home, particularly at a young age.

My friend looked at me and said, "That's sad. But it won't be the child's fault for turning out the way she will. She is just a product of her environment." And that got me to really thinking. It has truly changed my whole perspective on children who behave "badly" or differently, who lash out, or steal things they shouldn't. Is it really their fault? Or are the parents to blame? (I'm not talking about older teenagers, who actually know better, I'm talking about little kids) I definitely think parents are the ones to blame. They are the first people children interact with and have the biggest impact on a child's life - for better or worse. We, as parents, have the opportunity to showcase the best qualities of a good human being for our children. We CAN be honest, true, kind, happy, loving, charitable, patient and long-suffering. On the other hand of all this, I have seen so many good children - so many kids who want to make good choices and are kind and nice to others. They are that way because their parents are that way. It gives me hope that there is still good in the world, despite all the filth and garbage that swirls endlessly around us.

The next time you look at your child, and are about to burst with anger because they threw their food on the floor, scribbled on the walls, decided to run off in the store, or peed the bed, remember... you are not managing an inconvenience.  

You are raising a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment